Saturday, February 19, 2011

Finding a new kind of normal.

These last 10 day's have gone so fast yet so slow. Last Thursday my aunt was flown to Harboview with a very scary, bad infection. We were told that she might not make it through it, but is taking baby steps and doing better than expected. She will have a long recovery ahead of her and will hopefully come out of it with a new lease on life, and a new kind of normal.
This morning Ethan got a call saying that his grandpa didn't make it back into his chair and when Ethan got into his grandparents house he saw that his 91 year old grandpa had passed. He was truly an amazing man who left behind a truly amazing women.
I have only known Ethan's grandparents for 3 years, and they took Ellie and I in right from the start. My relationship with them in these 3 short years has felt stronger  (sadly) than my relationship with my own grandparents. I think that is just who Harold and Audrey are. If you love there family, they love you. 
The memories that I have of Harold make me smile so big. Ethan barley warned me of what his grandpa was like, but just enough so that I would have an idea of what I was getting into. So the first time we went over there Ethan said we will show you his room that has all of his old awards and pictures and that he shows all the new girlfriends/wives. So I go over and sure enough he shows me a scrap book of clippings that he had from his life and pictures that he had from war to family. The whole tour with an arm around me or a hand on my leg. What a flirt! I didn't see Harold with out getting the biggest hug I have ever gotten in my life and usually bigger than the time before. He would always say "come on it toots" or "Hey babe how ya doin" he was a charmer. In fact Ethan and I had been together for about six months and we went to the liquor store and the lady said "I know your a Cady, your one of Harold's grandson's" Ethan proudly said yes and she replied "Your grandpa is such a flirt" Oh we laughed so hard. There are story's everywhere about Harold, and I am sure some that I have yet to hear.
Harold and Audrey have 5 children, 11 grandchildren, 5 great grandchildren, with 1 on the way and Ellie which will make 7 so far. What a life they have created. Now Audrey will have to go on for the rest of her life without the man that she spent most of her life with. I cant even imagine how that would feel the first time you reach over and the person that has been there for over 60 years is not there to touch anymore. I hope the first time she has that happen all she thinks of is the things that they did together, and created together.
I feel so blessed to have gotten to know Harold and in the same breathe I wish that I could have known him longer. What a lucky wife Audrey was, what lucky kids, and grandchildren he had, to know that they are part of who that man was.  I could go on and on about Harold, and I think most people that knew him could. I am so glad that my life got to be touched by him.
Now we all have to find a new kind of normal without Harold.

Life is like a box of chocolates........

No comments:

Post a Comment